L5R: Intrigue at Kyuden Suzume
A comically violent shugenja, who REALLY loves his hats...
- Spent 1 Void Point: Gain 1 rank in Intimidate vs. eta mooks
- Gained 0.2 Shadowlands Taint: cast Pain on Sparrow samurai trio
- Gained 0.2 Shadowlands Taint: cast Pain on last remaining Sparrow
- Cast Commune (Water)
School Rank: Chuda Shugenja 1
Insight Rank: 1
XP: 50/40+10 (disadvantages)
Void Points: 1/2
Shadowlands Taint: 0 .9
Wounds Taken: 0
Wound Rank: Healthy
Armor TN: 15
Knife (UNTRAINED) 3k3, 3k1 damage
Unarmed 3k3 (UNTRAINED), 2k1 damage
Wakizashi 3k3 (UNTRAINED), 4k2 damage
Air (2 slots): 3k2 + 2k0 for maho
Earth (3 slots): 4k3 + 2k0 for maho
Fire (3 slots): 4k3 + 2k0 for maho
Water (1/2 slots): 3k2 + 2k0 for maho
Void (2 slots): N/A
Traits: (24 XP spent)
Earth: 3 (12 XP for STA, +1 School bonus for WIL)
Fire: 3 (12 XP for AGI, +1 Family bonus for INT)
Skills: (9 XP spent)
Calligraphy (Int) 1; 4k3, Emphasis: Cipher [School Skill]
Hunting (Per) 1; 3k2 [School Skill]
Lore: Maho (Int) 1; 4k3 [School Skill]
Lore: Shadowlands (Int) 1; 4k3 [School Skill]
Medicine (Int) 1; 4k3 [Any one skill]
Spellcraft (Int) 2; 5k3 [School Skill, 2 XP]
Stealth (Agi) 3; 6k3, Epmhasis: Spell Casting [School Skill, 7 XP]
Advantages: (17 XP spent)
(5) Ancestor: Kuni Yori
(4) Dark Paragon: Determination (Spider clan discount)
(5) Inheritance: Oni on the Roof
Disadvantages: (10 XP gained)
(3) Dark Fate
(2) Driven: Summon an Oni Lord
(1) Fascination: Maho
(4) Shadowlands Taint
Affinity = any non-Void maho spell
Deficiency = non-Void air
Blood Like Water – Declare one Raise to conceal the corrupt nature of a maho spell, second Raise to reduce all Taint gained from the spell to one point. Alternatively, may sacrifice one point of Honor to reduce Taint gain to one point.
Stealth 3: Move actions while being stealthy allow this character to move at a rate of Water x5.
Rank 1 Spells:
Universal Lv. 1 – Commune
Universal Lv. 1 – Sense
Universal Lv. 1 – Summon
Lv. 2 Earth Maho – Drain the Soul
Lv. 2 Earth Maho – Pain
Lv. 2 Earth Maho – Spreading the Darkness
Lv. 2 Fire Maho – Gift of the Maker (Enemies of the Empire)
Lv. 2 Fire Maho – Puppet Master
Lv. 1 Water – Path to Inner Peace
Robes, Wakizashi, Knife, Scroll Satchel, Traveling Pack, 3 koku
Traveling Pack Contents:
Ink brush kit
Parchment and charcoal
Personal seal or chop
Spare kimono and sandals
Wide-brimmed straw hat x3
- Ancestor – Jin is descended from one of the Empire’s greatest betrayers and maho tsukai. Kuni Yori’s guidance grants him +1k0 to Sincerity (Deceit) rolls and all maho spellcasting rolls. Yori makes no demands of his descendants, but they gain 1 extra point of Taint from maho spellcasting due to his malign influence drawing the Taint in even faster.
- Dark Paragon – Being one of the great Yajinden’s disciples tends to instill certain values in a Bloodspeaker, and the one that Jin displays foremost is Determination. His resolve to get his tasks done allows him to voluntarily sacrifice 5 points of Honor as a Free Action (or spend a Void Point if he no longer has any Honor) to negate all TN/Wound penalties on one Skill or Spell Casting roll.
- Inheritance – Somewhere else up in Jin’s family tree, a mad tsukai playwright wrote Oni on the Roof: a feel-good family-fun musical satire of the Shadowlands in general, which tells the tale of a simple peasant farmer and his encounters with such creatures as bog hags in his quest to marry off all three of his daughters. In truth, it is a ciphered set of maho notes that gives Jin a +1k1 bonus to Spellcraft rolls.
- Sage – Jin reads…a lot. In fact, he seems to have a profound love for learning. He is considered to have 1 rank in any Lore Skill for which he is making an Unskilled Roll.
- Dark Fate – Jin is destined for greatness — great disaster that is, which is unsurprising considering his ancestry. Once per session, if a hit would reduce him to the Dead state (0 or less wounds remaining), Jin instead remains with 1 Wound.
- Driven – In his academic approach to maho, Jin believes that he must eventually summon an oni and allow it to become an oni lord in order to better study the nature of Taint, maho and Jigoku. He will willingly betray friends, family and honor (what little he has) in pursuit of this goal.
- Fascination – While most Chuda shugenja learn maho, Jin is pretty much obsessed with it. If he stands to learn more about it or experience it in a new way, he’d willingly take dishonorable actions for maho’s sake.
- Shadowlands Taint – A lifetime amongst the Spider and learning Bloodspeaker maho has brought Jin to the point of having significant Taint within him.
Jin’s story is one all too well-known in Rokugan: he is one among the samurai caste with a famous ancestor in his lineage, and he seeks to earn glory through his ancestor’s craft in order to make his family proud. He even managed to show such promise in his dojo that he’s been offered a scholarship for one of his clan’s more prestigious dojos! Too bad that ancestor is one of the greatest tsukai who ever lived, his family is the Chuda and his clan is the Spider. His talents with maho research that have earned him a place amongst the elite tsukais trained under Yajinden and the Dark Daughter herself: the Bloodspeakers.
Q: WHAT CLAN DOES YOUR CHARACTER BELONG TO?
A: The Spider, and he is a proud member of it.
Q: HOW WOULD OTHERS DESCRIBE YOUR CHARACTER’S APPEARANCE?
A: A pale, thin young man who fulfills the archetypal image of the scholarly shugenja who doesn’t eat much because he reads a lot. Since he’s often clad in gray or brown robes, he prefers to make his fashion statements with his hats; he has a few jingasas that he alternates between every now and then. His demeanor is calm, and he always seems to look at things with an analytical eye.
IS YOUR CHARACTER A BUSHI, SHUGENJA, MONK, OR COURTIER?
He is a shugenja, though instead of praying to the Kami and fortunes his devotion is to Fu Leng, the kansen and the yokai. Occasionally out of respect he also pays lip service to a few Oni Lords.
WHAT FAMILY DOES YOUR CHARACTER BELONG TO?
As befitting a scholar of the Spider, he was born into and raised by the Chuda.
WHAT IS YOUR CHARACTER’S MAIN MOTIVATION?
He seeks to fully master blood magic, commanding it and wielding it like a hammer instead of merely paying blood tribute for the little daggers of spells. To this end, he has taken up active spell research in the field.
WHO IS THE PERSON YOUR CHARACTER TRUSTS MOST?
His most trusted confidante would be Chuda Makoto, his father and also his maho sensei; it’s been a family tradition, you see.
WHAT IS YOUR CHARACTER’S GREATEST STRENGTH? GREATEST WEAKNESS?
His greatest strength is his eagerness to push the boundaries of his craft and further his studies. Unfortunately, this has also created his greatest weakness: he has an obsession with Maho scrolls of any sort, and freely discusses blood magic as easily as a Doji maiden would comment on her friend’s kimono.
WHAT DOES YOUR CHARACTER THINK OF BUSHIDO?
As a devotee of the Spider, he believes it a joke and looks to Shourido for his principles.
WHAT IS YOUR CHARACTER’S OPINION OF HIS OWN CLAN?
As a Chuda, he is loyal to the Spider but not fanatically so. He understands that his family were given a place by Lord Daigotsu, but he also knows that they will always be outcasts to an extent: for how effective will the Spider’s infiltration of the Empire be if their chief magic-users prefer to rain down hordes of undead and summoned oni on their foes?
IS YOUR CHARACTER MARRIED?
No, he is fairly young and arranged marriages are rather unpopular in the Shadowlands.
DOES YOUR CHARACTER HAVE ANY PREJUDICES?
He holds some mild disdain for ‘pure’ elemental magic, seeing it as a crutch for the weak who don’t see the true power they could possess. Still, he himself has to cast those ‘vulgar’ spells on occasion so he tries not to be openly insulting.
TO WHOM DOES YOUR CHARACTER OWE THE MOST LOYALTY?
He owes the most loyalty to the Chuda and their continued research into Maho spellcraft.
WHAT ARE YOUR CHARACTER’S FAVORITE AND LEAST FAVORITE THINGS?
His most favorite thing in the entire world is the smell of old scrolls; he grew accustomed to it even as a child, and finds the scent soothing. His least favorite thing is jade, and not just because of it being the Taint’s bane: a traumatic encounter with some Crab scouts in his youth has instilled a nigh-phobia in him.
DOES YOUR CHARACTER HAVE ANY RECURRING MANNERISMS?
He has a noticeable habit of slightly twisting his jingasa on his head before he casts a spell, or when he’s about to indulge in a discussion on magical theory.
WHAT ABOUT YOUR CHARACTER’S EMOTIONS?
While he’s generally the perfect picture of the cold and analytical scholar he is known to fly off the handle when anyone messes with his hat(s).
HOW WOULD YOUR CHARACTER HANDLE A SUBORDINATE’S IMPROPER BEHAVIOR?
He’d probably tie them up and slowly bleed them to death for Maho.
HOW WOULD YOUR CHARACTER’S PARENTS DESCRIBE HIM?
“He made us proud when he passed his gempukku at the Chuda dojo, and we nearly cried tears of joy when he was offered that Bloodspeaker scholarship by Yajinden-sama himself. We know he’s got a bright future in store and that he’ll be making the clan proud!”
WHAT IS YOUR CHARACTER’S HIGHEST AMBITION?
With all he knows and seeks to know about Maho, his highest ambition is to create an Oni Lord.
HOW RELIGIOUS IS YOUR CHARACTER?
He says his prayers, he makes his devotions, and is always polite when speaking with otherworldly entities. Of course, it’s too bad that his prayers are blasphemies and his faith is to the cause of unadulterated evil.
IF YOU COULD, WHAT ADVICE WOULD YOU GIVE YOUR CHARACTER?